In the last update, I mentioned that I would be giving modular assets a whirl as opposed to creating large levels out of custom/single use meshes. Well, I tried it, but wasn’t too pleased with the results. However, I did come to the realization that perhaps I could create a sort of hybrid work flow where some meshes will be custom and some modular. So from this point, it looks like I’ll be making the large features custom and the smaller detail features reusable. I also picked up a few handy techniques from some of the level design tutorials over at cgcookie.com.
So anywho, I spent most of this week expanding upon and improving the level that I showed a screenshot of last week. During these modifications, I decided to skip baking out the ambient occlusion textures every single time I modified the level mesh and ended up with some very distorted UV’s. Funnily enough, I’m actually quite pleased with how they turned out and may end up keeping them or incorporating the style throughout the rest of the level development process.
Lastly, I’ve begun setting up some mechanics for enemy spawning. If you look in the video, you’ll see a dark cloud thing moving rapidly across the ground, spawning enemies here and there. At the moment, it’s just one type of enemy that’s being spawned. However, I plan to start creating more enemies in the near future. Thanks for checking in and stay tuned for more developments!